Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"The hood loves to listen to Jeezy and Weezy and oh yeah, Yeezy!"

"The hood love to listen to Jeezy and Weezy, and oh yeah, Yeezy"
Do they now? I think they do. But my question is, why? You can bet your bottom, hard working dollar that I am the biggest Kanye fan. The only thing is, I'm not sure why I love him so much. No disrespect, but I'm definitely not attracted to him(I'm chick btw). Ugly? No. He's just not that guy that's going to make me look twice back at like I did when I saw Dre 3 grand at my local mall and tripped because he's just strolling around entourage free. Anypoo, back to the subject. I guess I have many reasons why I love Ye so much that only makes sense to me (and maybe anyone else who loves music so much it makes them cry sometimes) if I roll them up in one.
His first single was "Through the Wire". That will always be my favorite of his. It's just a classic. Was the beat for that track doper than the trunk of Jay-Z's 95 Lexus? Hell yeah it was!! Now, was it the dopest beat ever? Betcha by gollie wow NO! True, it was something in that bass line that was so mesmerizing I think it could carry the song alone. Were the lyrics honest and clever? Yes sir! Were those the hottest lines of '03? I don't think so, Tim. The video. The video was dope in it's own original, unique, creative way. But not the hottest video I've ever seen. "So, what is it Kid? Why do you love Ye so much?" As far as music goes, there was nothing original about the Chaka Khan sample, but it was a breath of fresh air and I am a sucker for samples just because I feel they have soul and therefore makes the rapper step their game up. So, there's one right there. Another thing is the video. The first time I saw the video, I was thinking how dope this beat is and why this dude whom I've never heard of has all these famous people (Mos Def, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Twista, and others) in his low budget video? To answer my question, at the end of the video, Kanye announces he's the newest member of the Roc-fella team. So then I go back and wonder, "Damn Jay! You got bread, hook the brother up with a fly video directed by Hype with bitches and hoes". But obviously, Ye didn't want that. He was more than glad to pay for a video directed by his homeboy. Last and most importantly, the lyrics. Lyrically, Kanye told us who he was, what songs he produced for the classic Blueprint, and the he was in a car wreck. Did you hear me?! Please watch.No! Analyze for yourself:





OMG! That's so gangsta! Unlike most first time artist with pointless, repeated lyrics, hot videos and the best Timbaland beat money can buy, he came out with that stuff and somehow still caught the hearts of many (at least mine). That move he made was damn near suicide for any artist, let alone a a dude announcing himself nationwide for the first time. That's just brave! Heck naw he's not the first rapper to do that either, but he is one of the few to do that and succeed. I know he had to fight with Dame and record executives extra hard to put that out as a single. Then he has the nerve to have the follow up single be "Jesus Walks"? What is this cat thinking? If you're not snapping your fingers to the bass line or shooting someone (lyrically), it's hard to make it in the music industry. I don't know if that was luck or what, but damn. That sure is special.
That's what it was. It was that confidence and braveness alone that had me drawn to this guy. You're probably wondering did I really notice ALL of that while watching the video in less than four minutes. HELL yeah I did! I knew this beat was too dope for a low budget video and this no name dude took that chance with that single and I was really interested in finding out who he was and where in the hell he came from. He obviously wasn't too new behind the scenes. And his wardrobe? Well, that's another blog. Well thanks for reading,if you made it this far. LOL! And as aways, don't you dare judge me!

No comments:

Post a Comment