Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Good Read: Freakonomics




Ever wondered if there was some truth to your child not succeeding in life because their name is Tiesha or Tyrone instead of Julie or David? Ever wondered why the baby boomers received a better education than generation X? What do teachers and Sumo wrestlers have in common? Or how has legalizing abortion lowered the crime rates in America? OK, maybe you haven't wondered all these things, but it makes for a good read. Freakonomics is a New York Times best seller, turned documentary, turned blog. I must say, when I first read the book years ago, I was blown away by the authors, Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner's social and economics theories for our world today.

If you notice the cover art on the book, these two are indeed comparing apples to oranges and it all makes sense! The main thing that intrigued me, is the one thing that has caused these guys a lot of hell as well as sales. While their theories can be proven, everyone is not so accepting of their statements. One of my favorite chapters was how the public education system has gone down due to the 1960's movement of women's rights. Levitt and Dubner argue that prior to this movement women's main roles in life were, respectively, housewives, nurses or teachers. Once women were granted the "right" to be doctors, lawyers and CEO's, well, it left a void in the education area.

Now, one would like to think or I would like to think this is not the sole reason as to why teaching in the public school system is a joke, but it does make sense. And if you read any of my prior blogs, you know I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories. But hey, don't listen to me. If any of what I said has caught your attention, please go check these guys out. Here's a link to their blog: http://www.freakonomics.com/blog/

Also, there's a Freakonomics 2, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Once I do, I'll let you know how it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment