Monday, November 7, 2011

Yo mama!!!

So, I needed something to post today to keep up with my “I’m a changed woman and I will blog more often” , so I cheated and I chose a note I wrote on facebook a few weeks ago for my birthday. Hope you enjoy.

Before I start, I just want to shoutout all the moms out there; You are appreciated.


So, if you pay attention to my postings on facebook, I mentioned that I would be sending my mom a present for MY birthday that’s coming up. It should go without saying why I did it, but I will still express my reasons for doing so.

A few years back during a small family gathering for my birthday, my dad stood up to give a speech. I just knew this speech was going to praise me on how great of a daughter, woman, and citizen I am and how he’s so proud of me. I was wrong! LOL! My dad pointed out that in the midst of everyone celebrating my birth, I should give credit to the woman who birthed me. While I feel his timing could have been better, that speech stuck with me. He pointed out things that we as children tend to take for granted or never think twice about: Like how having a child in the first place (this day and age) is more so an option. I don’t know what your views are (on the subject of pro-life/pro-choice), nor do I care, but women don’t always have to have children. Women risk their lives everyday giving birth! While I can’t speak from experience, I understand that pregnancy and labor is hard. A woman gives all she has from calcium, blood, "professor Klump" feet, stretch marks, etc. If anything, your mom should be celebrating YOUR birthday herself!! She’s the one that did something important on that day in history; NOT YOU. And while I don’t live at home, in a sense, at 28 years of age, my mom still takes care of me. When I’m sick, need help, and good grief, I don’t know where I would do my laundry if it wasn’t for my mom. Basically, all I’m saying is, show your mom some thanks. I’m not saying you have to buy her something for YOUR birthday, but in the words of Pac “ There’s no waaaaay I can pay you back, but the plan is to show you that I understand: You are appreciated”. Now, don’t get me wrong, I will still gladly accept any gift my mother has in store for me, but I must celebrate this day with her. I must dedicate this day to her. Sending her fruity flowers was the absolute least I could do. Like many of you, I wish I could do more. It just seems a little reckless for me to go out, party and take credit for a day that would have never come to be without acknowledging my mom. I mean, honestly, all I’m doing is surviving everyday. Nothing special. And please don’t get all DEEP on me saying this day wouldn’t be possible without God. True. Very, very true. But I’m speaking in more of a flesh and blood sense, not spiritual. But I do thank GOD EVERYDAY for my mama (she hates it when I call her “mama”)! Thanks in advance for the bday wishes and for reading!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment