Thursday, October 27, 2011

Orchenstrate Your Love Life

Let me first start off by saying, while in grade school and high school, I played the clarinet, saxophone, trumpet and baritone. Now, these facts have nothing to do with this blog, but I know some of the folks reading this have just rolled their eyes at that sentence. And I wrote it just for that effect! LOL!

Ok. Let me get down to business. A few weekends ago, I, for the first time in my adult life, went to the Dallas Symphony. It was nothing less than amazing. Now before you knock the classical theme, please continue reading.

During the 90minutes of the concert, I swear, I am NOT exaggerating nor fibbing: the same 3 thoughts kept passing through my mind. The first was me staring at the architecture and beauty of the walls of sound and remembering the first time I went in high school and how I had very little appreciation for my being there, but I had a blast with my friends. Truth be told, everything is better when you’re with your friends. But that’s another blog. The second thing that kept passing through my mind was at certain parts of the song, I would try to recall what Disney/Pixar film I heard this piece in. I swear some parts of the songs I had put me right in the mix of the Toy Story trilogy. But the last thing that kept running across my mind was how this symphony was the perfect relationship.

There are certain elements in a relationship that keeps the people happy and staying strong. Pay attention as I try to break down what I saw or heard in my head that night.

First the violins, violoa’s and cellos: They were so beautiful in sound and there were so many of them as well. If there were 100 instruments, then 70 were the strings alone. But anywho, to that point, as many violins, violas and cellos as there were, they never over powered the Trumpets or even the flutes for that matter, YET the concert wouldn’t have been NEARLY as good without these strings. They played almost non stop. Rarely resting. The strings to me came across as the small or minor things in a relationship. They’re not the big things that you may talk a lot about to your friends or you may even take for granted, but they are the key to a healthy relationship. The violins or “small things” are the “taking out the garbage, opening the door, rubbing your partners back or feet after a long day or the simple “good morning beautiful” text you get or send to your significant other. Again, these things may not be the HIGHLIGHT of your day, but it all adds up and makes a HUGE difference when they are not there.


Then there were the 2 trumpets, the clarinet, the two bass clarinets, the flute and the oboe (I may have left some instruments off, but you see where I’m going), these were the “bells and whistles” of a relationship. These instruments weren’t played continuously, but when they were played, it was a beautiful treat. You can take these as the weekends, birthdays or special occasions of your relationship. Meaning, they don’t happen as frequent as the small things, but you tend to enjoy them more and these are the things you talk about with others. How much fun you had and what you did this weekend or for your anniversay. You need that in a healthy relationship as well.

I’ll lightly touch on the drums. But I don’t think I need to go into too much details (or do I?) about the “beating it up” part? LOL! Please pardon my humor, but the drums (like in any genre) makes any song sound better. But sometimes, you need more than that. Drums (sex) can only take a relationship so far without the previously mentioned instruments or qualities.

Oh, and the conductor? That was like the God in the relationship (No blasephemy intended). He was in the center of it all: The strings, horns and drums. Sure, the musicians can stop looking at him at anytime, but if they stray too long, something will eventually go wrong. If you do believe in God, you can understand how important it is to keep him a priority over all. You cant lose focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment